Margin Loan Rate

The margin loan rate is often the most important feature of a margin loan because it determines the total amount of interest that you will repay over the term of your loan. Australians always compare online to hunt for the lowest rate, which maximises the profits from borrowing to invest in shares.

The margin loan rate, like any variable rate, is subject to sudden changes, so it is always wise to make sure that you can afford at least a 2 percent rise in your margin loan rate when you budget your repayments. This will help ensure that you are not caught out by rising debt in the future, and leaves you some extra cash that you could use to make earlier repayments.

Because some investments are only held for a short term, there is usually the option of interest only repayments on your margin loan, which will significantly reduce your costs, but also mean that you will never claim any of the principal.

Another margin loan rate is the loan to value ratio (LVR), which tells you how much of your planned investment you can borrow. For example, with an LVR of 60%, a $50,000 investment will allow you to only borrow $30,000, while the rest (40%) will need to be paid as an initial deposit ($20,000).

Compare online to discover some of the lowest margin loan rates in Australia for your best investment funding option, here at RateCity.

This is an information service. By browsing on the website and/or using our search tools, you are asking RateCity to provide you with information about products from multiple financial institutions. We will try to show you a range of products in response to your request for information. The search results do not include all providers and may not compare all features relevant to you, for further details refer to our FSCG. The rating shown is only one factor to take into account when considering these products. We are not a credit provider, and in giving you product information we are not making any suggestion or recommendation to you about a particular credit product. If you decide to apply for a product, you will deal directly with a financial institution, and not with RateCity. Rates and product information should be confirmed with the relevant financial institution, and you should review the PDS before you decide to purchase. See our terms of use for further details. This advice is general and has not taken into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Consider whether this advice is right for you.