Pros and Cons
- Open a new Westpac Choice account to get a complimentary Student or Youth Discount Card, if you’re a full-time student or under 31^ (saving you $30). The cards offer savings on thousands of share-worthy travel and local experiences. Like up to 40% off international airfares at STA Travel as well as discounts on hostels, restaurants, museums and more. Conditions apply.
- App banking available
- You must deposit at least $2000 into your account each month for no monthly account fees
- 3% fees apply for overseas transactions
Compare and review bank accounts with similar features
Popular bank accounts searches
- High interest transaction accounts
- Online bank accounts
- Joint bank accounts
- Kids bank accounts
- orange everyday ing direct bank accounts
- everyday transaction account me bank bank accounts
- everyday account newcastle permanent bank accounts
- special monthly interest account newcastle permanent bank accounts
- access advantage anz bank accounts
- recruit salary saver australian military bank bank accounts
- complete freedom student bank of melbourne bank accounts
- retirement access plus bank of melbourne bank accounts
- concession account banksa bank accounts
- hero transaction account bankwest bank accounts
- View more searches
Opening a bank account in Australia is usually a straightforward process. Some banks give you the option of opening an account online, while others require you to visit a branch.
Different bank accounts offer different features, so it’s best to compare your options to find one that suits you.
All banks require you to pass an identity check to open a bank account. Australia uses the 100-point identification system, which means you’ll need to show a number of forms of ID that, together, add up to 100 points.
Common ID types include a driver’s licence, passport, Australian visa in a foreign passport, and Australian Medicare card. You’ll find out what types of ID are accepted when you go through the sign-up process online or at a branch.
Once your account is open, you’ll be given or sent a debit card that you can use to make purchases and withdraw money from your account.