When shopping around for a credit card, most people look for benefits such as a low interest rate or a low annual fee.
But alongside the obvious drawcards, many credit card providers offer a suite of rewards with their credit cards such as frequent flyer miles, cashback on purchases and different types of insurance. Some lenders also offer cardholders access to special events.
What are credit cards with special events?
Credit cards that come with special events are a type of rewards card. Providers for these cards give cardholders the option to access exclusive events and offers as a way to encourage customers to choose their credit card.
Often, the special events on offer are part of a larger credit card rewards program with other benefits such as frequent flyer points, insurance coverage, cashback and the like.
Types of special events credit card providers offer
Credit card companies regularly give cardholders premium access to concerts, movies, attractions and other events. Some of the common event perks include:
- Pre-sale concert tickets – Access to exclusive reserve event tickets or the ability to buy tickets before the general public.
- Special access – VIP seating at concerts and other events.
- Discounts on tickets – Dollar-off or percentage discounts on tickets for cardholders.
- Last-minute offers – Deals for concerts and events at short notice.
Other credit card perks
Special events and preferential ticketing is just one of the perks you can get with your credit card. Aside from major benefits like frequent flyer miles and cashback, other offers include:
- Priority Pass membership – Operates in major airports and gives cardholders access to airport lounges.
- Concierge services – Assistance with travel bookings, restaurant reservations, car rentals and other travel recommendations.
- Shopping discounts – Exclusive shopping nights for cardholders at certain stores as well as sales where you can earn extra points.
- Gift cards – Vouchers for merchants, usually given when you sign up or on an annual basis.
- Competitions – Entry to exclusive competitions for a chance to win trips, tickets and the like.
- Dining deals – Discounts and special deals at restaurants.
Considerations for credit cards with special events
It’s worth doing some research to find a credit card that offers the kind of special events and rewards you’re interested in. Keep in mind that rewards credit cards often come with higher annual fees and interest rates.
Credit card providers often offer cards at an initial low interest rate which rises after the introductory period. Look out for rewards credit cards that seem too good to be true by reading the fine print, so you know what you’re signing up for.
It’s important to compare your options to make sure the benefits outweigh the costs. Check out the RateCity credit card comparison tool to learn about the different rewards programs available.