Last updated: 06 Jun 2013
- Your personal information is important to us
- How we collect information about you
- Using and Disclosing Personal Information
- Consumer Calculators Available on RateCity
- Data Security - Protecting Your Personal Information
- Resolving Your Privacy Issues
- Further information on privacy
Your personal information is important to us
We recognise that your privacy is very important and that you have a right to control personal information. Personal information is information or an opinion about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained. It includes all personal information regardless of its source. We know that providing personal information is an act of trust and we take that seriously. The following sections set out how we handle and protect your personal information and safeguard your privacy.
How we collect information about you
Whenever you visit RateCity, our servers may automatically record information about your usage of the Network, such as the time of the visit, its duration and the pages you visit. This is to help us understand what parts of RateCity our users enjoy the most and to help us ensure that advertisements on the website are most directly relevant to users' interests. In these instances, the information we collect about you remains anonymous. We will, if it is reasonable or practicable to do so, also collect your personal information from you. This may happen when you fill out an application form for a financial product or for an indicative quote.
Collection of some of your personal information is essential for completion of some of the functions and activities of RateCity. If we do not collect and make use of some of the data that you enter, we will not be able to complete some of the functions for which this web site is designed.
The data entered by you may include your name, postal or email address, date of birth or other information considered necessary for any application process you may be undertaking or referral that you request. No matter how your personal information is collected, it is dealt with by RateCity in accordance with the National Privacy Principles.
Using and Disclosing Personal Information
RateCity uses your personal information to:
- respond to your requests;
- provide you with information about our products, services and information that we think may be of interest to you, if you request us to do so;
- provide products and services to you;
- if you complete a referral request form on our website in which you request that we pass your personal information to a third party, to pass your information to that party and from time to time to contact you about the service subject of your inquiry;
- deal with complaints or issues you may have in relation to our services;
- review your dealings with us, including the products and services you use, your potential needs, and new products that might be of interest to you or other customers;
- ensure our internal business operations are running smoothly which may include fulfilling legal requirements and conducting confidential systems maintenance and testing.
RateCity may disclose your personal information in certain circumstances to third party organisations whose products you may be interested in or require. These organisations may include banks, building societies, health insurance funds, life companies, managed fund and superannuation organisations, dealer groups, general insurers/car insurers, financial advisers and planners and their service providers.
If you request a quote for health insurance via the RateCity website, a wide range of personal information will be required in order to produce the quote requested. If you wish to apply for health insurance via the RateCity website, both your personal information and credit card details will be required in order for your application to be lodged with the health insurer. Your credit card details will be transferred directly to the health insurance provider you have selected via a secure payment gateway. Your credit card details will not be retained by RateCity after they have been submitted to the health fund.
Your personal information may also be disclosed to in relation to maintaining, reviewing and developing our business systems, procedures and infrastructure including testing or upgrading our computer systems as required or authorised by law, for example, to government or regulatory bodies for purposes related to public health or safety, the prevention or detection of unlawful activities or to protect public revenue.
We will never share your personal information with a third party or allow a third party to promote its products and services directly to you without your explicit consent.
Consumer Calculators Available on RateCity
A 'Consumer Calculator' is defined as a calculator which is available, for free on the publicly accessible RateCity website, to non-subscribing users of the calculator. 'Consumer' calculators require only the minimum of customer data to derive a result. RateCity does not collect or store any data entered into any Consumer Calculator.
Data Security - Protecting Your Personal Information
We store information in different ways, including in paper and electronic format. The security of your personal information is important to us and we take reasonable steps to protect it from misuse and loss and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Some of the ways we do this are:
- confidentiality agreements for our employees and contractors;
- security measures for systems access;
- only allowing access to personal information where the individual seeking access has satisfied our identification requirements;
- access control for our buildings;
Cookies are pieces of information that a website transfers to your computer's hard disk for record-keeping purposes. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies. However, if you do not wish to receive any cookies, you may set your browser to refuse them (for more information on disabling cookies, click here). In some instances this may mean you will not be able to take full advantage of parts of the RateCity website.
We may use independent companies to measure and analyse Internet usage across the website. The tracking collects the following core information on usage of RateCity website:
- The number of page views (or page impressions);
- The number of unique visitors;
- How long these unique visitors (on average) spend on the website;
- Common entry and exit points into the website.
This aggregate, non-personal information is collated and provided to us to assist in analysing usage of the website. This data may be used from time to time for research purposes to provide media with insights on trends in financial behaviour.
The data is also accessible by media organisations and research companies for the purpose of conducting industry comparisons with other Internet sites.
Pages on the website may be coded with tracking software. This is transparent to the user, as the software makes use of an invisible image, JavasScript, or an invisible Java Applet, on the web page. This software stores a cookie in your browser, which contains a unique identifier. This enables the ability to track the number of unique visitors to the website.
The advertisements that you see displayed on this website are delivered on our behalf by a third party advertising company. No personal data for example your name, address, email address or telephone number are used during the course of serving our advertising, but, on our behalf, our third-party advertiser may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser. This cookie does not collect personal data about you nor is it linked to any personal data about you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by this company, please click here
Resolving Your Privacy Issues
Further information on privacy
For more information about privacy issues in Australia, visit the Australian Federal Privacy Commissioner's website.