Fixed vs. Variable rate loans
Whether you are buying your first home, refinancing or purchasing an investment property, make sure you compare the best home loans on the market to see if home ownership is a good financial step for you.
Product options for fixed and standard variable rates are endless, so narrow down the search by doing your homework to find the one which meets your budget and needs.
Look for an interest rate lower than the bank’s standard variable rate (SVR) and don’t hesitate to check out other lenders, credit unions and building societies.
Not sure what rate option to go with? Here are some tips to help you decide:
Go with a fixed rate loan if
- You believe interest rates will rise
- Finances have tightened your belt and you need to know your expenses
- You don’t need extra features such as a redraw facility
Go with a variable rate loan if
- Interest rates are expected to drop
- You have financial surplus to ride the fluctuations in the interest rate cycle
- You want to be able to make extra repayments
To compare a large range of variable and fixed rate loans visit our online comparison page and work out your finances with the home loan repayment calculator. For all the latest home loan related tips and information read our news articles and home loan guides.