Last Updated: 2 November 2018
Your privacy is important to us
We recognise that your privacy is very important and that you have a right to control personal information. Personal information is information or an opinion about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained. It includes all personal information regardless of its source. We know that providing personal information is an act of trust and we take that seriously. The following sections set out how we handle and protect your personal information and safeguard your privacy.
What information do we collect?
The types of information we keep on record will depend on the type of product or service requested by you. Generally, we keep a record of the following types of information about you:
- information that identifies you, such as your name and address and other information provided by you;
- if you use a comparison tool, calculator, contact form, online survey or other tool (“Website Tool”) on our website, the information that you enter into the Website Tool. This could include information about your name and contact details, employment status and income, financial situation, date of birth, gender and drivers licence number;
- your IP address for your interaction with various parts of our website. Your IP address is the identifier for your computer when you are using the internet;
- your credit score, where you authorise us to obtain it from a credit reporting body.
We do not seek to collect sensitive information (for example health information or information about your racial or ethnic origin or any criminal record), unless it is necessary for our business purposes. If we do have to collect sensitive information, we will do so in accordance with the APPs. During our dealings with you, we may gather information about you relating to all products and services that we or our business partners provide to you. This information is used to help us decide how we can improve our service delivery to you. We collect and hold information about you when you:
- complete an online form or use a Website Tool;
- provide us with your email address; or
- access and use our services through our website.
We also collect some statistical information about visitors to our website (for example, the number of visitors, pages viewed, types of transactions conducted, time online and documents downloaded). Some of this statistical information is collected by using cookies, but none of the statistical information we collect allows us to identify a visitor. We use this information to evaluate our website performance and continually improve our services. We may disclose this information in an aggregated form to third parties including advertisers or potential advertisers. We allow third-party companies to collect certain anonymous information when you visit our website. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information during your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or a third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioural advertising practice, you can visit networkadvertising.org. Other than statistical information, we do not collect any information about you through our website unless you provide the information to us. You need not give us any of the personal information about you or any other person which may be requested in our communications with you. However, without that information, we may not be able to fulfil your request or provide you with an appropriate level of service.
How do we use your personal information?
We use your personal information to:
- providing you with our services (including comparing or providing you information about products):
- responding to your requests;
- operating and improving our websites, products and services;
- providing you with news and information about our products and services (including newsletters, product surveys and special offers);
- providing you with more effective customer service;
- enabling us to conduct customer research;
- performing research and analysis aimed at improving our products, services and technologies;
- displaying content and advertising that are customised to your interests, preferences and experiences;
- occasionally sending marketing and promotional material about our products and/or services (or the products and/or services of our related companies including Nine Digital Pty Ltd and LAAP Pty Ltd) that we believe you may be interested in.
- conducting competitions or promotions on behalf of RateCity and selected third parties;
- communicating with you, including by email, mail or telephone.
- review your dealings with us, including the products and services you use, your potential needs, and new products that might be of interest to you or other customers;
- ensuring our internal business operations are running smoothly which may include fulfilling legal requirements and conducting confidential systems maintenance and testing; and/or
- using personal information as otherwise required or permitted by any law (including the Privacy Act).
Who do we disclose personal information to?
We may disclose your personal information to:
- credit providers (such as by pre-populating the lender’s application form with the information you give us):
- our external service providers (some of which may be located overseas in the USA and Europe) for the purposes of our business, for example IT service providers. Information is only disclosed in accordance with Australian Privacy Principles. We take reasonable steps to ensure that overseas service providers whose servers may be used to store data comply with APPs;
- product and services providers for operational purposes, and also because from time to time they may choose to provide you with information about their products and services by ordinary post or email. You may opt-out of receipt of such marketing at any time by contacting directly those organisations which have obtained your information. If you do not have their details, you can request them from us on the details below;
- any organisation which you request us to, including a financial adviser, broker, solicitor, or accountant;
- our related companies (including Nine Digital Pty Ltd and LAAP Pty Ltd) and other organisations;
- if we consider it necessary to do so in order to enforce or apply the terms of any of our agreements with you;
- contractors providing licensed collections services, credit card payment processing and CRM services, who comply with our privacy and security policies;
- if we sell our business or part of it to a third party;
- in extreme circumstances to protect the personal safety of our customers, website users, staff or the public; and
- law enforcement, regulatory and government bodies, government agencies and courts, if we are required to by law to do so.
We take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
How do we store personal information?
We provide a robust level of security when you use our online products and services. We have physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your information which is held by us. Access to information stored electronically is restricted to staff whose job purpose requires access. We use secure methods to destroy or de-identify any personal information as soon as the law permits, provided the information is no longer needed by us for any purpose.
How do we contact you?
Our primary means of contacting you is electronic, such as via email and SMS. As a business with services that are primarily provided online, we have inferred your consent to communicate electronically. You can withdraw this consent by using the unsubscribe facility in these messages or by providing us with written notice. Where you have provided a phone number, we may also contact you by phone.
A “cookie” is a small text file that is placed on your hard disk by a Web server. Cookies contain information that can later be read by a Web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you.
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. Most Web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to use other interactive features of our website and services that depend on cookies, and some advertising preferences that are dependent on cookies may not be able to be respected. If you choose to accept cookies, you also have the ability to later delete cookies that you have accepted. If you chose to delete cookies, any settings and preferences, including advertising preferences, controlled by those cookies will be deleted and may need to be recreated.
Use of Web Beacons
Our websites may contain electronic images known as “web beacons” – sometimes called single-pixel gifs – that may be used to assist in delivering cookies on our sites and allow us to count users who have visited those pages and to deliver other services.
How we use web-beacons
We may include web beacons on all webpages on RateCity in order to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon. We may also employ web beacons from third parties in order to help us compile aggregated statistics regarding the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns or other operations of our websites.
Finally, we may work with other companies that advertise on our website to place their web beacons on our sites in order to allow us to gather statistics and better target advertisements on our website that may result in a purchase or other action on the advertiser’s site.
Amendment of this policy
Access to your information
You can request access at any time to personal information we hold about you by using the contact details below. We will process your request within a reasonable time, usually 14 days for a straightforward request. More time may be needed, depending on the nature of the request. There is no fee for requesting access to your information; However, we may charge you the reasonable cost of processing your request. Sometimes we are not required to provide you with access – for example if the law says we can deny access. If we refuse you access to your personal information, we will tell you the reason why.
Correction of information
We try to ensure that all information we hold about you which we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up to date. You must promptly notify us if there are any changes to your personal information. You may ask us at any time to correct personal information held by us about you, which you believe is incorrect or out of date. We will deal with your request within a reasonable time. In this policy, reference to “we/us” means RateCity Pty Limited ABN 12 122 743 542, Australian Credit Licence and Australian Financial Services Licence 316710.
Contact Details and Complaints