There are multiple legal and regulatory compliances to be completed when you’re setting up your SMSF. You may want the help of professionals to take care of these, so you'll need to get cost estimates from a few before you select anyone to assist you.
Unless you are confident that you can handle these responsibilities yourself, you may require the following professionals:
- An accountant to set up the fund's financial systems and, later, maintain accounts and operating statements.
- A fund administrator to manage operations, reporting and administrative obligations.
- A legal practitioner to draw up the fund’s trust deed.
- A financial adviser to prepare the investment strategy.
- An approved SMSF auditor to audit your fund. It may be helpful for you to have some reference costs, and the ATO has released data showing that the average SMSF audit fee in 2018-19 was $686.
- A tax agent (who could also be your accountant) to lodge your SMSF annual return, provide tax advice and represent you to the ATO
There are some service providers who offer SMSF setup packages that include some of the above. A setup package could range anywhere from $350 for an SMSF with individual trustees to $1300 with corporate trustees, with costs varying by the provider and your situation. You may also find some service providers who offer a basic SMSF setup package free of cost.
If you opt for a package, ensure that the trust deed complies with the legal requirements and check that all your regulatory obligations are fulfilled.