Compare credit cards offering free lounge access
Latest credit cards news
Credit cards still on the nose, however people with cards start reaching for them more
New figures out today from the RBA show the number of personal credit card accounts has dropped to the lowest point in almost a decade.
Are you putting more everyday spending on your credit card?
Lockdowns and social distancing have changed the way Australians are spending money, with many of us turning to credit cards to help manage our household budgets. But with our financial situations changing, is your credit card still providing the kind of value for money that it used to?
The credit card industry is a competitive one, which is why many providers offer enticing perks like credit cards with free airport lounge access.
These credit cards are designed to appeal to frequent travellers, by granting them access to the exclusive services provided in airport lounges before their trips.
We’re going to look at credit cards with free airport lounge access, so you can get a clearer sense of the advantages and disadvantages of these credit cards before you decide to sign the dotted line.
How do credit cards with airport lounge access work?
Credit cards with airport lounge access are generally premium or rewards-based credit cards that offer free or discounted access to airport lounges as a bonus for signing on. Many credit cards let you obtain airport lounge access using rewards points you’ve accrued, while some will grant you direct access, which could potentially save you hundreds of dollars in yearly membership fees.
It’s important to note that the level of access granted by these credit cards is often limited, with two to four complimentary visits standard across the industry. That said, if you can combine a credit card with airport lounge access with other credit card travel perks like credit card travel insurance and cheap flights you’ve earned through the rewards program, then you have the potential to knock hundreds of dollars off the overall cost of your trip.
What are the pros and cons of credit cards with airport lounge access?
When you’re comparing credit cards with airport lounge access, it’s important to take the following pros and cons into account, to make sure you’ve got the card that’s right for you.
- Unlock attractive benefits – Generally a credit card with airport lounge access will have all the bells and whistles, and these perks, rewards and bonuses can be an attractive add-on for many travellers who are looking for the right credit card for their trip.
- Potential to make big savings – Provided you pay off your card in full each month and can afford to travel often enough, credit cards with airport lounge access can help you save hundreds of dollars.
- A luxurious experience – Airports are generally characterised by how stressful they can be, but travellers with access to the airport lounge enjoy a far different experience, often with free food and drink, and a setting considerably more comfortable than an airport gate.
- The premium features don’t come cheap – As with any rewards credit cards, credit cards with free airport lounge access often have higher interest rates, which can be a problem if you’re not making repayments on time.
- Higher fees than regular cards – By the same token, premium credit cards with features like free airport lounge access often come with higher fees than regular credit cards.
- Access to the airport lounge is limited – While there will be plenty of places where you can take advantage of your airport lounge access, this credit card benefit is limited to participating airports. Also, travel companions may not be granted access with you.