The latest in car loans news
Lenders getting increasingly personal with their car loans
A growing number of car loan lenders are offering personalised interest rates.
Kia started in the 1940s making bicycle parts, and today is South Korea’s second-largest automobile manufacturer, partially owned by Hyundai. Kia is known around the world, including in Australia, for its series of simple and reliable passenger vehicles.
Kia’s modern vehicles come from automotive designer, Peter Schreyer, who previously worked on the Audi TT and Volkswagen New Beetle. These contemporary designs include the iconic “tiger nose” grille, so you can always recognise a Kia on the road.
About Kia cars
Kia cars include:
- Kia Picanto – a micro car with a sporty design and features for urban use, from $14,790
- Kia Rio – a small car designed for all-around performance on city or country roads, from $17,590
- Kia Cerato – available in sedan and hatch, this design was awarded Australia’s Best Small Car in 2016, from $19,990
- Kia Soul – a small car with a distinct design, emphasising safety and comfort, from $28,587.70
- Kia Optima – designed for business customers, combining stability, comfort and performance – from $38,631.70
- Kia Sportage – designed with premium comfort for growing families, from $33,996.70
- Kia Sorento – awarded Australia’s Best AWD SUV for 2018, from $43,990
- Kia Rondo – a European-styled family car with room for five or seven, from $30,906.70
- Kia Carnival – voted Australia’s Best Family Wagon two years running, from $46,871.70
- Kia Stinger – a high-performance sports sedan, from $50,496.50
Kia’s small and medium passenger cars are known for offering value for money, starting with budget pricing and moving up to the mid-range. In 2014, Kia became the only car brand in Australia to offer a seven-year, unlimited-kilometre factory warranty, which could extend up to 10 years at some point in the future.
In terms of its Australian market share, Kia is a mid-tier player. While Kia is primarily known in Australia for passenger cars, there are plans to develop Kia utes and other light commercial vehicles for the range in the future. Electric vehicles, such as the Kia e-Niro, have been developed overseas, and may be arriving in Australia in the near future.
The Kia Stinger high-performance sedan has been adopted as a pursuit vehicle by the police in both Queensland and Western Australia, with other states understood to be considering following suit.
How can I get a Kia car loan?
When you’re ready to buy at a Kia dealership, you aren’t required to take the dealer finance option. If you need money to buy a Kia, there are a variety of car loans to choose from, which you can compare side by side using a comparison website.
If you’re happy to use your Kia as collateral, a secured car loan may offer a lower interest rate, though you may lose the car if you don’t keep up with the repayments. Choosing an unsecured loan doesn’t risk your vehicle, though you may pay more in interest.
Borrowing more than the price of your new Kia could help you pay for insurance and other costs, though paying this back over the long term may cost more. How much you can borrow will depend on how much you can comfortably afford to repay.
How much does a Kia car loan cost?
Here are the approximate running costs for three different Kia models, based on RACQ category averages:
|Model||Category||Cents/km||Average $ per week|
|Kia Rio||Light Car||46.2c||$133.38|
|Kia Stinger||Large Car||86.9c||$250.73|
|Kia Carnival||People Mover||83.4c||$240.47|
Here’s how much a five-year loan will cost for three different Kia models if you borrow 100 per cent of the purchase price over five years:
|Model||Price/loan||Total repayments at 6%||Total repayments at 8%||Total repayments at 10%|
A property and personal finance writer, Nick Bendel covers property, loans, credit cards, superannuation, and other bank products. Nick has previously written for The Adviser, Mortgage Business, Lifehacker, Business Insider, Yahoo Finance, and InvestorDaily, and loves getting elbow-deep in the latest ABS, APRA and RBA data.