Electronic Wallet Service
|3 points for $1 spent||AMEX||uncapped||major petrol stations|
|3 points for $1 spent||AMEX||uncapped||major supermarkets|
|2 points for $1 spent||AMEX||uncapped||overseas spend|
|1 point for $1 spent||AMEX||uncapped||all other eligible purchases|
- Free Domestic Travel Insurance Available when you use your card to pay for return domestic travel
- Free International Travel Insurance Available when you use your card to pay for return international travel
- Free Supplementary Cards Supplementary cardholder must be over 18 years of age
- Purchase Protection Covers up to $2,500 per item and $20,000 per year with a $50 excess within 90 days of purchase
- Extended Warranty Warranty is extended for the same duration as the original warranty up to 1 year
Similar credit cards
American Express Platinum Edge credit card offers a number of features to cardholders. This card comes with membership to the Membership Rewards Ascent program, one of Amex’s own rewards programs. You can also earn rewards points on all eligible purchases with the American Express Platinum Edge credit card.
Amex are also offering a travel credit at the start of each year, as well as five different types of complimentary insurances to protect cardholders when they are travelling against theft, cancellations and even travel inconvenience.
Cardholders also have the option to extend the manufacturer’s warranty on items purchased using this credit card. American Express purchase protection and refund protection are also included.
As can be expected, this credit card has a high interest rate and a moderately high annual fee. There are also a moderate number of interest-free days available each billing cycle.
- Earn rewards points
- Five complimentary insurances
- Balance transfer offer
- High interest rate
- Moderately high annual fee
- No cash advances
Who is it good for?
The American Express Platinum Edge credit card has benefits and complimentary extras that might make it suitable for frequent travellers. The insurance products offered with this card are, for the most part, explicitly for use when travelling. Combined with the annual travel credit offered, this card might be a good option for those who travel frequently.
With a generous rewards scheme available, this credit card could also be beneficial for current members of the Membership Rewards Ascent program, or those who are shopping around for a rewards program to commit to. And if earning rewards points is a priority for you, this credit card is more suitable for medium to big spenders, who will see more value from earning more rewards points.
With a high interest rate and moderate annual fee, this credit is less suited to customers who do not pay off their credit card in full each month.
What RateCity says
The American Express Platinum Edge credit card has various perks and extras. The complimentary insurance products are certainly generous, and offer many benefits to frequent travellers.
Other benefits include extending the manufacturer’s warranty on purchases, purchase protection to cover theft or damage, and refund protection for up to 90 days. Although generous, most of these benefits encourage more spending on the American Express Platinum Edge credit card, which benefits the credit card provider more than anything else.
For this reason, this credit card is more suitable for customers who are already putting most of their transactions on a credit card - this card will allow you to do the same, but take advantage of complimentary extras and also earn rewards points.
When considering this card, consumers should be careful not to be blinded by the benefits, and also weigh up the high interest rate and annual fee.
To be eligible for the American Express Platinum Edge credit card, you must be at least 18 years old and an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or hold a current business long stay visa. You must also meet a minimum income requirement and not have any history of bad debt. You can apply online in just 10 minutes and could receive a response within 60 seconds. Make sure to have your identification, income and employment details handy.
About the lender
American Express is an international corporation in financial services, which offers products and services in credit cards, insurance, corporate banking and more. Headquartered in New York, American Express was founded in 1850 and today services customers worldwide and employs more than 56,000 people. Customers can contact American Express 24 hours per day, seven days per week via phone and live chat, with a different phone number available for each credit card product.
Popular credit cards searches
- low fee mastercard commonwealth bank credit cards
- low rate gold mastercard commonwealth bank credit cards
- low rate visa credit card community first cu credit cards
- platinum credit card cua credit cards
- low rate credit card cua credit cards
- geelong bank credit cards
- amigo credit card geelong bank credit cards
- qantas platinum mastercard bendigo bank credit cards
- adelaide bank credit cards
- david jones platinum card qantas points american express credit cards
- View more searches
The credit card market changes all the time, so the credit card with the highest annual percentage rate is also liable to change.
One thing to remember is that credit card interest rates are expressed as a yearly rate, or annual percentage rate (APR). A low APR is generally good but also consider:
- There can be different APRs for each feature of the card (e.g. purchases may have an APR of 14 per cent, while cash advances on same card could have an APR of 17 per cent
- Credit cards with a variable rate can change throughout the year, affecting your APR, so check the full details
- If you pay your balance in full every month, having the lowest APR is not as important as the other fees associated with the card. However, if you carry a balance from month to month, then you want the lowest APR possible