Community First Credit Union is a mutual organisation that has been in operation since 1959. Unlike banks, who make profits to pay dividends to shareholders, it’s a member-owned and -run financial institution.
Community First Credit Union is based in New South Wales, has 68,000 customers throughout Australia and $940 million in assets.
Community First Credit Union doesn’t have an extensive range of home loans. Instead, it focuses on delivering competitive mortgage rates on the mortgages it offers.
Community First Credit Union home loans rates
Go To Site
Fixed - 3 years
Intro 12 months
- Suitable for low deposits.
- Opportunity to bundle financial products together.
- Offers discounts on the interest rate.
- Split loan options are included.
- Some products include fees.
- Early exit fees apply to some products.
Community First home loan customers can get in touch with the credit union in several ways. Those who would like to speak directly to a member of staff can call the customer services centre by phone or visit one of the many branches located along the New South Wales coast. Customers can also make an enquiry thorough the website or via email. Basic account functions can be carried out through the mobile banking app or internet banking services.
- Customer service centre (phone, email, branch)
- Mobile app
- Online banking
How to Apply
Should Community First customers require assistance with their home loan application they can call the customer service centre or enquire online. Alternatively, if customers are based along the New South Wales coast they can visit a branch for face-to-face advice. To ensure a loan is affordable customers should calculate how much they can afford to borrow comparing a range of terms and interest rates. Applicants will be required to provide standard documentation that may include:
- Personal identification material.
- Proof of income – whether you are self-employed or work for an employer.
- Proof of other income, including rental.
- Information regarding your current debts, liabilities and assets.
- Personal insurance documents.
About Community First Credit Union home loans
Community First Credit Union has mortgages that cater for the following customers:
- First home buyers
- Renovators/home builders (construction loans)
- Self-employed (low-doc loans)
Community First Credit Union home loans come with the following interest rate options:
- Variable rate
- Fixed rate
- Principal and interest
- Split loans
Community First Credit Union home loans might also suit borrowers with low deposits. It lets owner-occupiers borrow up to 95 per cent of the property value (with mortgage insurance), and investors borrow up to 80 per cent of the property value. Repayments can be weekly, fortnightly or monthly.
Extra repayments can be made on Community First Credit Union without penalty, and redraw facilities are also available (but come with a small fee). As added incentive, the credit union offers home loan customers fee-free transaction accounts as well as discounts on its other financial products and services.
Community First Credit Union home loan rates
Community First Credit Union’s home loan interest rates vary depending on the product. However, compared to other home loan lenders in Australia, its interest rates tend to be moderately low.
As a smaller, community-based lender, without the marketing power of the big banks, it offers lower mortgage rates to attract customers. As Community First Credit Union is owned by its customers, rather than shareholders, it also does not have the same pressure to make big profits, giving it the ability to offer lower rates and fees.
Home loans offered to owner-occupiers by Community First Credit Union, paying principal and interest, are generally moderately low compared to other lenders in Australia. Its investor mortgages rates are also moderately low. The credit union also offers a discounted interest rate to new customers that is very low.
Community First Credit Union home loans review
In keeping with its name, Community First Credit Union focuses on serving its local customers. Most of its staff live in the same areas as its customers, which it says gives them a better understanding of customers’ home loan needs.
Community First Credit Union has 14 branches in New South Wales, most in Sydney. In recent years, the credit union has expanded its online services to gain customers throughout Australia.
As well as offering moderately low interest rates, Community First Credit Union charges no ongoing monthly or annual fees on its home loans. However, the upfront one-off application fees on home loans are high compared to many of its competitors, and it also charges a discharge fee at the end of the loan.
Community First Credit Union doesn’t cater for all borrowers. For example, it doesn’t offer SMSF loans, reverse mortgages or 40-year home loans.
Today's top home loan Products
Popular home loans searches
- LOW DOC Home Loans
- Low Interest Mortgage
- Best Mortgage
- Fixed Rate Mortgage
- Variable Rate Mortgage
- Home Loan Ratings
- First Mortgage
- Home Loans Comparison
- Low Interest Home Loans
- Mortgage Rates
- 1 year Fixed
- 3 year Fixed
- Investment Property
- SMSF Loans
- 1 Year Fixed Investment Property
- 3 Year Fixed Investment Property
- Home Equity
- Stamp Duty Calculator
- Best Home Loan Rates
- No Doc Home Loans
- No Deposit Home Loans
- Refinancing Home Loans
- Cheapest Home Loans
- View more searches
- investment fixed 5 yrs banksa home loans
- premier advantage fixed options 1 yr 150k westpac home loans
- residential fixed 3 yrs banksa home loans
- fixed rate investment loan interest only 5 years lvr 80 bank of melbourne home loans
- monipower home loan fixed interest only 4 years resimac home loans
- residential fixed 5 yrs commonwealth bank home loans
- monipower investment loan fixed interest only 4 years resimac home loans
- residential fixed io 5 yrs service one members banking home loans
- investsment vital 80 interest only firstmac home loans
- empower package inv empower variable pi 80 100 749k yellow brick road home loans